Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My 'Inner Bargainer' is Fierce!

I found out that Craig's List also posts garage sales so in addition to my weekly perusing of the Pennysaver, I added Craig's List to my literary homework as part of my quest for the $1.00 clothes bargains. I moseyed over to a sale posted as a garage/warehouse sale and had a ball looking through all the goodies. The sweet lady in charge of the place complimented me about my diligence and patience while sorting and hemming and hawing about the different choices. At least I took it as a compliment until I asked the prices of the items. Note to self, always ask first (i.e. are all the clothes 50 cents or a dollar a piece....) because I had already kind of become attached to several of the pieces until I found out she wanted (gasp) $10.00 for the suits! I explained I only wanted the jackets but she was not to be deterred. My favorite flowered little cotton number that was as 50's vintage as they come was priced at $5.00 and I sighed and told her my dollar limit. Then the bargain hunter in me peeked out behind the argyll sweater I had grabbed and offered to take 2 suits, one dress and the sweater OFF her hands for $10.00 total! She murmured something about consignments stores and the weekend still ahead with all the hungry shoppers who would surely be clambering for these particular clothing choices. Well, we exchanged phone info and I slunk away empty handed wishing I had sprung for the cotton dress that really was cute. I mean seriously, $3.00? If it is still there on Monday, I think the nice sweet lady will be ready to release these to me!

By the way, it is always helpful to have your dog home to console you when you come home with no new-old clothes to sew. The way she looks at it, now I have more time to throw the tennis ball for her.




No comments:

Post a Comment