Thursday, November 18, 2010

Experiment in White

So here we are, is it a nighty? a wedding dress for a hippie? A maternity gown?? I wasn't sure but I loved the cotton material, the lace action on the sleeves and I wanted to do some experimenting with the Rit box again. Figured this would be a perfect specimen for the laboratory!!!

The crochet lace neckline was, unfortunately, not gonna make it so I had to surgically remove it, both in the front and the back.
Brings to mind a bit of shredded cheese clothe. Got to go now.

I used my seam ripper to extract the sleeves as I wasn't sure if I would go the sleeveless route or not. I could not salvage the lace so into the recycle bin it went.

I had to take the sides in several inches to reduce the billowing effect.

I took in the front panel and the back as well. Was a bit tricky since I wanted to keep the dart effects. I think I managed to keep the little mini panels intact.











Now to prepare for the tie dye bath. I wet the gown, then rubber banded knots all over the place. Into the dye bath it went for a lovely little pink makeover. The fun of tie dying is you never really know what will become of the clothe or where all the little funky circles will end up.

Aha! Here is the finished product. Kinda cool, reminds me of a popsycle. I did reattach the sleeves, shortened the hemline and made a belt from the extra fabric from the hem. Now all I need is a pair of pink flip flops, jump on my pink beach cruiser and for a moment I may be able to forget that it has been raining for 5 days straight!

No comments:

Post a Comment