Sunday, November 7, 2010

Bolero Jacket I Yi Yi Yi!

I purchased this jacket without the benefit of my reading glasses. So when I got home I realized it was a small and might not fit as well as I had hoped. It seemed big enough when I held it up against me at the yard sale....clearly I would never eyeball an outfit at Nordstroms! Anyway, I am the 'possibilities/opportunities' girl so let's see what I can do with what I got!
First on the agenda - trim the lining out of the jacket to give it some wiggle room.


Then it was time to say hasta la vista to the humongous shoulder pads. That alone will give me the shoulder room I sorely needed.



Now the collar was getting the boot as well. It reminded me of the dresses I used to wear to dancing school in 4th grade. Velveteen numbers. Too much like the Beatles jackets.

The sleeves got chopped as I was going for the matador look, not car coat. I hemmed the seams so they would be clean and pristine.
I also took the coat up about 6 inches and hemmed it as well. Had to sew the pockets since they were now shallow versions of their former selves.

I folded the front collar to make it into a v-shape and topstitched it for effect. I moved the buttons over to the other side to hide the button holes and then sewed a tiny hook and eye to use as a closure for the newly fashioned jacket. I thought this is such a great Southern California type jacket - light enough to wear with a tank top and warm enough for our cooler evenings.

Remember the scarf I dyed a few posts back? How do you think it looks paired with my bolero???

No comments:

Post a Comment