Saturday, November 6, 2010

To Dye For

I bought this lacey/jackety/coverall/wrap creature specifically for the delicate lace possibilities. I knew I'd never wear this for a plethora (I love this word) of reasons~size, color, faded and torn seams, fashion style. However all that said, I was sure that some day soon the lace remnant would come in mighty handy and I wanted to be ready!
I cut the piece into three sections to ready it for the dye action-to-be. I wanted to dye it black as I had an idea how I would use one of the sleeves.
I readied the big pot of hot water with a box of Rit black dye and gently dropped in each lacey pretty piece. I also decided to make this scarf into a darker color as I already had a teal scarf from the last dye session.











After a half hour soak in the dye and a quick trip through the washer, I was ready to use the lace. I had purchased this pretty asian looking top at a local sale ($3.00 no less, over budget!). It was so so swanky but a tad too deep in the cleavage area for my taste. Time to rectify this!



I took the sleeve piece and cut it open, laid it over the v-neck front of the blouse and got to sewing it in place. Love the finished product! Still feminine and a peekaboo feel to it. And the scarf came out quite mysterious looking - the flowers still pop out but the grayish tinge looks musty and fall-like.
Jacket makeover in the next post!!




No comments:

Post a Comment